How to pick the Best Above Ground Pool Pump
The most vital piece of a pool is the pump. The pump is what keeps the pool clean, the water circulating, and chemicals dispersed. The pump is formed by three pieces. Those pieces are the motor, impeller, and lint trap.
A great pool pump will reduce the amount of manual labor that goes into caring for a pool. That said, it is important to find a pump that is high performing, affordable, durable, and has some longevity.
Finding a pool pump that meets all four of those qualifications can be difficult. Too often the best performing pumps are too expensive, or the pump performs remarkably well, but only works for a summer or two. It can be difficult to find a happy medium.
Lucky for you, I’ve created a review that features three incredible pool pumps. Hopefully you will be able to find the best above ground pool pump to suit your needs.
Option 1: Harris Above Ground Pool Pump
The Harris model, H1572730 Proforce, above ground pool pump is a product of great quality. It is powered by 1.5 horsepower and meets all of the requirements for CSA and ETL. The pump comes with a three-foot cord that works with a three-prong outlet. It can take 115 volts.
- The motor’s shaft is made of a reinforced thermoplastic which allows the product to last longer and be much more durable.
- The pumps strainer has a clear lid that permits you to easily assess how full the strainer is.
- The lid easily twists off to allow easier cleaning.
- The straining basket is quite large, which means that more time can pass before emptying the basket.
- The pump is highly efficient and is practically silent when running.
- The product has longevity and durability
- I have not yet found a con for this product.
This pump cost about 150 dollars on Amazon. A great deal on this high-quality pump.
This model of Harris pool pump is rated 4.3 out of 5 stars. This Harris pool pump currently has 292 Amazon reviews. 210 of these reviews are five stars.
One of the five-star reviews says, “The pump works just as great as his previous pump. The only difference was that this pump is 200 dollars less!”
A second review states, “The pump’s strength is unbelievable!” In fact, the reviewer states that the pump does an excellent job of circulating the water in his pool.
Another reviewer boasts about their ability to install the pump in well-under thirty minutes! The reviewer remarks, “I was quite pleased that they received quick delivery and that the product featured easy installation.”
This pump costs much less than some of the bigger brands but works just as efficiently. The pump provides great results and is well worth the money! This pump may be the best above ground pool pump currently available on the market.
Option 2: Hayward Above Ground Pool Pump
This Hayward Above Ground Pool Pump is one of their many models. The model, SP1593 Powerflo Matrix, is a high-powered pool pump. The pump is created solely for above ground pools. It’s powered by 1.5 horsepower and converts orientation by pressing a button.
- The Hayward pump has an industrial strainer, this feature allows you to do less maintenance.
- The pump also features heat overload protection. This protects the motor by shutting it off when the heat gets to be too much.
- The motor will turn on all by itself when the temperature returns to a safe level.
- The pumps housing is extremely durable and corrosion-proof.
The pump also features a wide impeller that allows the pump to resist clogging due to large-sized debris.
- The strainer is huge and can hold a large amount of debris.
- The housing allows the pump to last for a longer period of time.
- The pump shuts off when it gets too hot.
- Hayward pumps offer so many great features and pro’s, with little to no cons.
The product is extremely affordable. The pump barely cost more than 240 dollars.
This particular model has a 4.2 out of 5 stars rating. The product features 433 five-star reviews. The reviews are raving. To sum up just a few of them.
One basically says, “The pump is the best above ground pool pump, because it is incredibly powerful, and super easy to install.” The reviewer raves on how well-built the product is.
Another review compares the pump’s efficiency to that of one with variable speeds. The review mentions,” The cost is great for the quality of the product.”
An additional, third review raves over the twist lock on the cording and the temperature gauge that resists overheating.
This pool pump is the replacement version of another Hayward model, but it’s so much better. The pump is much more powerful and durable than the original. This above ground pool pump comes highly recommended and is shipped quickly.
Option 3: Energy Efficient Above Ground Pool Pump
The Energy Efficient Above Ground Pool Pump runs at two separate speeds. The lower speed works at about 1750 RPM. This would be the most energy efficient option. The higher speed runs at 3450 RPM.
- The Pump comes with a six-foot power cord.
- The cord fits a three-prong outlet and can handle 115 volts.
- This pump has an easy to operate a switch that allows for easy transitioning between the two different speeds. It is recommended that you use the lower speed for daily use, and the higher speed when vacuuming or cleaning the pool.
- The pump is also self-priming, which I find to be extremely convenient.
- The pump meets criteria to be considered an energy-efficient, multi-speed pool pump.
- One of the best qualities of this pump is that it is so quiet. You can barely hear the pump when it is running.
- The pros are what makes this pump the best above ground pool pump.
- I found no cons with this product.
This pump is super affordable and costs right under 200 dollars.
This pool pump is rated approximately 4.2 out of 5 stars on Amazon. The ratings come from some great customer reviews.
One review stated, “The pump is reasonably priced, easy to install, and works great!”
Other mentions that, “The pump is especially great at circulating water and is totally worth the money spent.”
A third review mentions, “The pump is so great because it is quiet and has perfect discharge pressure.”
The Energy Efficient Above Ground Pool Pump is highly recommended. It’s a great pump that offers many solutions. This pump is similar to the older model, except that it includes an easy to operate switch. The older model is no longer available, but this new model is a great replacement option.
To Wrap It All Up
The three above ground pool pumps listed above meet all four of our previous listed qualifications. Each of the pumps described would be great options for your above ground pool. Your only issue would be deciding between the three of them.
The Harris pool pump offers you an incredible amount of power and a quick and convenient installation. This above ground pool pump is also highly durable. This is also the most affordable pool pump on the list.
Hayward’s above ground pool pump is fit for an industrial pool. This pump is especially durable because it protects itself against heat overload. This pump is also easy to install.
The energy efficient option is great too. It features two speeds and it easily transitions between the two. The pump is extremely affordable, especially so when you consider the dual speed.
Each pump has something different to offer you, and each pump can greatly assist you in caring for your pool. These pumps have plenty of reviews available to back up their four-plus star ratings.
If you have an above ground pool that is in need of a pump, consider these pumps first as they are the best above ground pool pumps available.